Mostly users are migrating from phone ADSL broadband connections to their local Internet Service Providers WAN Ethernet connections. Those users were mostly using Dlink 2730U or 2750U ADSL Modems.
In India, D-link restricts the model 2730U to use as WAN Ethernet Router. Here, D-Links sells two models (2730U /2750U for only ADSL broadband and DIR-615 for only WAN Ethernet broadband connections). About 95 % of users who were using DLink 2730U doesn’t know that it’s actually capable of both ADSL broadband and WAN Connections.
Today we will see how we can add the functionality of WAN Ethernet connections to our D-Link 2730U Router in few simple easy steps. Friends, we require the latest firmware according to the hardware version we have (look under the tag of the Router):
Easy steps to follow: (Duration: Less than 2 minutes):
1)Connect D-Link 2730U with an Ethernet Lan Cable on any Port 1, 2, or 3 with the computer.
2) Assign your computer with a Static IP address 192.168.1.x (Ip address), 255.255.255.0 (Subnet), 192.168.1.1 (default gateway).
3) Open browser and type 192.168.1.1 and router page will open. Note down the firmware version from the top right corner.
Note: Check the Hardware Version from the tag under the router. Download the firmware exactly for the same hardware version number you have.
Latest Firmwares of D-Link 2730U in this post as well:
Now connect the ISP Lan cable to Port 4 and your computer to any one of the ports 1, 2 or 3rd. Friends, I believe your internet would be up in running by now using a WAN Ethernet Connection.
Most ISP’s provide internet connection by restricting access to only one router connection so that you don’t share it with your neighbors or someone else. So, don’t hesitate to contact your ISP trying everything yourself.
In 90% of the cases, as soon as ISP refreshes the Mac Address, the internet starts immediately. Still, if it doesn’t work, leave the rest on the ISP, get your router checked. Make all the settings default and then try to re-configure.
D-Link 2730U Alternate Use:
Friends, If you want to use this router as an Access Point or in Bridge Mode (an Extention to a Wired Internet Connection and adding Wi-fy to the wired network using this router), its easy and possible, let’s check the steps to configure that as well:
1) Open 192.168.1.1 – Advanced Setup – Layer2 interface – ETH interface – Create an Ethernet interface with connection mode as default.
2) Advanced Setup – WAN Service – Add eth0/LAN4 – Next.
3) Select “Ip over Ethernet” – Next – “Obtain an IP address automatically” – Enable NAT.
4) On the next screen, ensure “eth0” should be under the “Selected Gateway Interface“. On the next page, follow the same for DNS (to bring it left-hand side) – Save.